“ The Communication Difference in Products Liability”
Sauer Engineering can provide expert witness services in materials engineering and metallurgy to make the “communication difference” in analyzing, presenting and winning your case. For over 20 years, we have a proven track record in trying and winning verdicts for numerous clients on a variety subjects such as:
- A fishhook explodes during a fishing trip and the final resting place is inside the client’s skull.
- Analysis showed a wide variation in manufacturing and final hook properties.
- The matter would have been litigated based upon lack of quality control but was settled after deposition
"I am pleased to provide this letter of recommendation reflecting the excellent work that you performed on the unique products liability case involving the defective fishhook. Your work was thorough and extremely competent in all technical areas involving metallurgy. I was impressed with your cooperative attitude and very prompt replies to all my inquiries. I also appreciated and admired your dedicated and systematic examination of all potential theories of liability and your willingness to prepare exhaustively for cross examination."
- A storage tank containing asphalt based material failed during a weld repair operation.
- Failure analysis of the welds indicated poor design/welding practice.
- The matter would have been litigated based upon lack of definitive manufacturing/quality control procedures but was settled after deposition.
"As part of your work on the case, you developed and analyzed each of the several tank fracturing scenarios. During your deposition, defense counsel attempted to present you with difficult alternative explosion scenarios. In fact, the opposing counsel, on a variety of occasions during deposition, tried to incorporate a series of assumptions which were not supported by the physical evidence. You did an excellent job of defending your analysis, presenting your analysis and opinions in a very clear, concise and logical manner."
The Medina County Fair Case Study
- Tractor purchased and then refurbished-no laws governing purchase
- Driven to county fair and explosion killed 5 people
- Cause determined to be wall thinning from 100 yrs of corrosion
- Settlement for plaintiff
" I am pleased to recommend Mr. John Sauer for his excellent work and his ability to communicate difficult metallurgical principles in an easy to understand format. Mr. Sauer’s familiarity with the case and specific details involving the steam engine accident at the Medina County Fairgrounds was a tremendous asset. I was impressed with Mr. Sauer’s ability to analyze data, document his findings, and present his conclusions.”
The Bent Trailer Hitch Case Study
- Accident occurs when truck pulling a full trailer goes out of control and destroys both vehicles
- Initial claim indicates that the failure occurred at “possible” suspect welds in the hitch assembly. Final analysis above shows almost a ¼” bow near the end of the hefty 1 ½” square cross section (as shown above)- this bend occurred as the weld deformed and bent through the accident cycle indicating adequate weld strength
- The matter would have been litigated based upon issues with driver competence and other conditions
"I found your analysis of my client’s problem to be most helpful and your ability to simply describe the problem and the lack of a significant defect within the product to be entirely consistent with a reasoned and scientific approach to the issue pre-entered. Your co-operation and willingness to assist me in preparing the appropriate calculations for the cross examination of the adverse expert is again truly appreciated and certainly the discovery deposition which you gave was both concise and clear."
Other Case Studies
The Broken Forklift Case Study
The Disintegrating Knee Joint Case Study
Qualifications and Background Information
John P. Sauer P.E
- Expertise in metallurgical engineering plus materials and engineering consulting
- Background in materials testing, quality control and manufacturing
- Professional Engineer (P.E.) in State of Ohio
- Proven track record in engineering expert testimony
Sauer Engineering Schedule of Charges 2013
Sauer Engineering Litigation Brochure 2013
Please contact us with your expert witness needs in materials engineering and metallurgy!
Home | Engineering Services | Litigation Services | Thermal Spray | Contact Us
© Copyright 2001 - present Sauer Engineering All Rights Reserved
Designed and Maintained by Imaging 2000 Web Design